The Department of Agriculture and Rural Development contributes to the following outcomes:
Outcome 7: Vibrant, equitable, and sustainable rural communities and food security for all will be achieved through the following outputs:
- Sustainable agrarian reform with a thriving small and large farming sector
- Improved access to affordable and diverse food
- Improved rural services to support livelihoods
- Improved employment opportunities and economic livelihoods
- Enabling institutional environment for sustainable and inclusive growth
Outcome 4: Strengthening employment, economic growth and equality in line with the job creation model
The Department contributes specially to sub-output 3: Sector strategies to support growth of labour-intensive industries, diversification of the economy into industries that can support employment, starting with labour-absorbing sectors in IPAP2 (agro-processing, tourism, BPS, bio-fuels, clothing, forestry) implement KAPs.
- Proposals for expanding employment in agriculture, especially through step up in (a) a number of formal small-scale producers based on integration of land reform with other support measures, and (b) existing micro producers experiencing qualitative improvement in output
- Develop standardised approach to sector strategies that establishes common methodology across the state for (a) identifying constraints on employment-creating growth, (b) ensuring alignment of budgets and government institutions, and (c) working with stakeholders
- Identify all labour-absorbing sectors and monitor their development
Outcome 10: Environmental Assets and Natural Resources that are valued, protected, and continually enhanced
Four critical areas need to be addressed:
- Water is unsustainably used and the quality and quantity of water resources is in decline
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions, prepare strategies to cope with projected climate change impacts, and reverse the rising trend in relation to the release of pollutants into the atmosphere
- Proper and better management of our environment
- Protection of our biodiversity.
The Delivery Agreement and the Local Government Turn-Around Strategy is available in the Resource Centre.